San Lorenzo in Banale, Municipality
San Lorenzo in Banale is a municipality, with an approximate population of 1100 inhabitants, that is part of the Giudicarie Community Valley local government, in the Province of Trento. San Lorenzo is 37km apart from Trento and 50km from Storo. The municipality is located at 800mt above the sea level and it covers an area of 62km2. It is also one of the main access points to the Natural Park Adamello Brenta (largest natural park in Trentino), in the Dolomites.
Concerning electricity, San Lorenzo is served by the Industrial Electrical Consortium of Stenico (CEIS): a local based Cooperative institution founded in 1905 and participated by individuals with the aim to support the local territory in managing energy services, particularly the production, distribution and management of electrical energy, within the same community and among participating and supporting parts. CEIS produces electricity using renewable sources (hydropower plant and photovoltaic) and ensure reduction in the cost of electricity compared to the national rate, for the internal market, in variable amount up to 4 cents/kWh.
Relevance for the project ( click here )
- A selected area of San Lorenzo will be the test site focusing on both technical and social dimensions for the CIVIS project. The following aspects make San Lorenzo relevant for the project:
- The local production, distribution and management of electrical energy is control by CEIS, stakeholder of CIVIS project. CEIS is a cooperative institution, participated in the societal shareholding by local citizens
- Very high fraction of RES for electrical energy production and consumption
- CEIS supports the promotion of tasks and actions focused on energy savings and the efficient use of energy resources, protecting the environment and sustainable development according to the local resources, with particular attention to innovation
- There are many local associations and a very high sense of community
- Presence of a local primary school where involve the young generations in the topics of energy efficiency and renewable sources
- High number of hotels and other touristic services potentially interested in a “green certification”
Impact (click here )
The impact of the pilot site San Lorenzo in Banale will be on the new social dimension that integrate the end-user level with public/private stakeholders. The pilot site will demonstrate a new community level organization and interaction in the energy management sector, innovating informative details, interaction models, collaborative and common targeted approaches. The overall impact will be expected in terms of:
- Augment, integrate and test a new ICT platform, supported by smart accounting systems, able to effectively link energy grids to the social/business level;
- Integrate and deploy a new decision support system (DSS) able to achieve energy savings and reduced CO2 impacts by enabling a close interaction between prosumers and DSO authorities and by fostering social dynamics;
- Execute a number of dissemination actions (for the local primary school, the local associations and the tourist operators) to improve the energy consumption and production awareness (with a set of best practices) and help the diffusion of RES (in particular in the thermal energy sector);
- Activate a new dialogue with CEIS and the political administration of San Lorenzo in Banale Municipality on topics as energy efficiency, energy savings and diffusion of RES;
- CIVIS has identified a reduction potential in the range of 3-7%, both for the energy consumption and CO2 emission targets.
Energy structure & Technical Description ( click here )
|Number of dwellings||449|
|Typology of users||Mostly families and private citizens, 9 hotels and other touristic services, some public building (eg. 1 kindergarten, 1 primary school, 1 municipality home).|
|Systems (building level, district level, technologies ...)||
Building level systems for thermal energy, both building level and district level systems for electric energy.
Building level systems source: biomass (use of firewood is very diffused), diesel fuel, GPL, solar thermal energy, PV, biogas, geothermal.
District level systems: electric energy from hydropower production, centralized PV.
|Grids||Electric distribution grid is available and managed by CEIS. No thermal distribution grid.|
|Energy balance and RES diffusion in the area of CEIS||
High share of RES for electric energy, in particular hydropower (65,6 % of local electric energy production) and PV (25 % of local electric energy production). Import 20,7 % of electric energy consumption. Export 22,3 % of electric energy production.
Lower share of RES for thermal energy, mostly firewood and solar thermal panels.
|Info-telematic system at system level||All data at DSO level are available on local electricity produced, exchanged and imported from the grid.|
|Info-telematic system (energy consumption profiles) at user level||General availability of data for electrical consumptions, lack of data on heating and hot sanitary water|
|Info-telematic system utility to peer and peer to utility enabling social / business models application||No social business models actually implemented|
|Integration of energy and mobility management||No actual action ongoing on this issue|
|Distributed storage systems (yes/not, storage capacity)||Local use of Pumped hydro? – to be verified|